Sojourner Truth
Margo McLoone
Bridgestone Books
Copyright 1997
Pages: 24
Reading Level: 6-8
Genre: Non-Fiction
Summary:
Sojourner wanted equality for everyone and worked most of her life for freedom. Her name was originally Isabella. She hated slavery because it tore families apart. Slaves were often beaten if they didn't obey their owners rules. Isabella's owners promised to free her if she worked hard for nine years, so she did. She was the first African American woman who won a lawsuit in the US. She fought for her good name and earned it. Eventually she changed her name to Sojourner, which meas to travel. She spoke up for woman's rights and for equality. She wrote an autobiography called "The Narrative of Sojourner Truth."
Recommendations and Conflicts:
I would recommend this book to a classroom studying woman's rights and the emancipation proclamation.
Reaction:
This book was very informative about Sojourner's life, and I learned new things about her that I didn't know from studying her before.

No comments:
Post a Comment