Frindle
Andrew Clements
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Copyright 1998
Pages: 112
Reading level: 8-12
Genre: realistic fiction
Summary:
Words were made up at one point in time.Nick realizes this and decided to make up a word and get it into the dictionary. His teacher is furious when "frindle"is used instead of "pen." She would keep kids after school to write "I am writing this with a pen" over and over again when they used frindle in class. What she didn't notice was that every student who had to write lines would put frindle in here and there just to do it. By the end of the year, frindle was still in use, partially because it was banned. Years later, Nick got a dictionary from his teacher that she now used in her classroom every year, it contained the word frindle
Recommendations and Conflicts:
I would recommend this book to kids who are curious about words and who use big words. The only conflict I see in this book is taht the teacher is viewed as the bad guy
Reaction:
This was a cute story in which imagination was encouraged in an unusual way.

No comments:
Post a Comment