Booker T Washington

Booker T Washington
Lola M Schaefer
Pebble Books
Copyright 2003
Pages: 24
Age Level: 5-6
Genre: Non-Fiction
Summary:
Booker was born a slave. His family was freed and they moved to West Virginia to work in a salt mine. Booker worked hard to learn to read, at school he needed a last name and he chose Washington. Booker worked as a janitor to pay his way through school. He graduated Hampton Institute and began running Tuskegee. Booker wanted his students to learn "school" subjects and to learn a trade, He wrote a book about his life a few years before he died.
Recommendations and Conflicts:
I would recommend this book to a class studying The Civil War and the time period after that. I don't see conflicts in this book.
Reactions:
I thought this book was very informative, and I enjoyed it especially after studying Booker in my education class.

No comments:

Post a Comment